Saturday, 18th April, 2020 @ 12:30PM

Bro. Bill Jordan passed away on 18th April 2020, of a Coronavirus (COVID-19) related illness. The funeral was @ 12.30pm, at East Hampstead Park Crematorium, near Bracknell. Unfortunately, due to these strange times, Coronavirus lockdown, there was only 4 family members in attendance.

Eulogy by Bills Daughter, Jacqui

On 7th November 1929, in Poplar, East London William, or Bill, as he was always affectionately known, was born to proud parents William and Lillian. Bill was their second child, following in the footsteps on an older sister, Lily.

When Bill and Lily were small their parents moved to South London and during World War II Bill and Lily were evacuated to Crawley in West Sussex, where Bill would later say they were allowed to run wild.

Bill left school aged 14 and started work. Like all young men at that time, at age 18 Bill was called up for National Service and served in the army.

When Bill left the army he joined the Merchant Navy and it was at sea he would meet his future wife, Martha. They were married in 1954 at Wandsworth Registry Office.

Bill was proud than when he became a father to not 1 but eventually 3 children, first a son William, or Billy as he was always known, then a daughter Jacqui and a few years later another daughter Samantha.

Eventually Bill and Martha bought their own house in Tooting, Wandsworth, which is where Bill lived right up until 5 years ago. It had a small garden and Bill enjoyed pottering in the garden and kept it neat and tidy.

Later in life, Bill and Martha discovered Spain. They loved Spain and went on holiday there several times a year. They liked the sunshine and being able to go out at night and enjoy the entertainment.

At home, Bill and Martha enjoyed socialising at the Constitutional Club and they were also members of the Conservative Club in Tooting where Bill and Billy would have fairly amicable games of snooker on a regular basis, along with a few pints of beer.

Bill was an active member of Welcome Lodge No 5055 in Surbiton, Surrey for many years and he and Martha enjoyed their social events.

In later years Bill had more than his fair share of health problems. He had two new knees, a new heart valve and cataracts done in his eyes and sailed through all of those, gaining himself a new family nickname of “The Bionic Man”. It was in Bill’s nature to always make the best out of any bad situation and he was inspirational in this respect.

Sadly, Bill had a major stroke in August 2014, which left him partially paralysed and needing constant care. He moved to Lord Harris Court, Residential Care Home, later that year and he was very well looked after there and comfortable. And at this time, his brethren at his masonic Lodge were incredibly helpful to Bill’s family.

Bills mobility problems were incredibly frustrating for him as he had been so used to being independent, but he rarely ever moaned about his situation. In spite of needing nursing care 24 hours a day, Bill always maintained a cheerful smile and was well loved by the staff at the home.

Bill might not have been one to show his feelings, but he was extremely proud of all of his family and their achievements.

Bill was Initiated into the Welcome Lodge on 17th March 1983 and was made an Honorary Member on 1st December 2016


South Road, Bracknell, Wokingham RG40 3DW, UK

Share This Event